Thursday, April 14, 2011

Mount Vernon

Still Day Two: We left Gettysburg around 1:00 p.m. and headed straight for Mount Vernon, since that was the only other place out of the metro/walking distance of our hotel.


Although a tomb was built into the Capitol for George, his will specified that he wanted to be buried at Mt. Vernon, and Martha is alongside him.


Here is the back porch, overlooking the Potomac. I can see why he loved it.


The carriage house/stables:


This might be my favorite photo of the trip. It was an unbelievably beautiful day.


Check out this view. Amazing.


These are the chairs on the back porch. Definitely where I'd spend my time, with that view.


Here's the front of the house. Not as breathtaking as the scenery, but not bad.


When I read a biography of George Washington, I was surprised at how much correspondence he had concerning his estate, even during the war, but now that I've seen it, I can understand his passion for it.


I didn't take any photos in the visitors center, but it is fairly new, and well done. I'm glad we went.

By the time we returned the car and took the metro to our hotel we were exhausted, but walked around looking for someplace to eat. Since we were right by the Capitol, there were plenty of places to eat, but most of them had already closed. We ate at the hotel and called it a night. It was a great day.

No comments: