Monday, March 9, 2009

Ellie and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Ear Infection

Ellie woke up crying inconsolably with an earache about 11:30 last night (has ANYBODY EVER had an ear infection during office hours?!). We forced her to take Tylenol, gave her a couple of ear drops and propped her up, hoping that she'd fall back asleep. Half an hour later she was still in massive pain, and she asked Rob to give her a blessing. I went in to lay down with her, hoping to calm her down, but it was not to be. She was awake (and crying most of the time) until about seven a.m. when her eardrum finally burst and relieved the pressure enough that she slept. I called Bryner clinic at eight to see how soon I could bring her in (here's where my sleep-deprived rant starts) and they told me the earliest they could see her was 11:10. So I take a shower, and bathe the girls and sit around holding Ellie because she's so miserable. When we finally got there I notice all these signs publicizing their "acute illness" walk-in hour from 8:00-9:00 a.m. It even specifically mentioned all-night ear infections. So as I'm checking in I ask if this has already started, and it has, but whoever I was talking to at 8:00 a.m. just failed to tell me. I know, not a huge deal, but if you go there, now you know. Here's hoping we never need to use it again! :)

2 comments:

Swimmingmom said...

Oh no, ear infections are the worst. Poor girl. That must have hurt so much to have her ear drum burst too. I just can't stand those conversations with the office staff. So frustrating! Hope she gets better soon. Love your title, very clever!

Marsh Mayhem said...

Arg!! There are times that the Bryner Clinic front staff makes me want to switch doctors, they can really be obtuse! Just as another point of reference, there's a kinder clinic type of instacare over on 2000 S and 900 E. They're also useful for those emergency moments. Hope Ellie gets feeling better soon!!