Sunday, January 1, 2012

My Reading Life: 2011

There's a new blog called Shelf Actualization that I love. I really liked this post. It motivated me to add up my reading totals for the year (thank goodness for goodreads):

42 books/9549 pages + 9 audiobooks/4603 would-be pages = 52 total books/14,359 total pages.

16 literature/Classics

22 young-adult books (failing to keep up with my kids there)

1 commercial fiction

1 poetry

6 non-fiction

5 biography

Hard to pick my top ten, but my some of my favorites were:

The Killer Angels by Michael Shaara

The Whistling Season by Ivan Doig

City of Thieves by David Benioff

A Separate Peace by John Knowles

Rawhide Down by Del Quentin Wilber

The Trouble with Poetry by Billy Collins

Increase in Learning by David A. Bednar

and the Harry Potter series on audio

My list isn't 100% accurate, I'm missing all the books I read in January somehow, and doubtless a few more that I forgot to record. Still, it was fun to see the breakdown.

I decided I could probably improve my shelf this year, and even came up with an idea for a new blog, readthe100.com, to share the adventure of reading acknowledged literature. I flaked out on this (I can't even keep up with the blogs I'm writing), but a far better writer than I took on the challenge, so you should check it out.



No comments: