Friday, September 28, 2012

NYC

I have piles of laundry and dishes, I need to go grocery shopping, I still haven't gone through the week's worth of mail that accumulated while we were gone, and of course I haven't blogged about the entire summer still, but I'm a little worried that I will forget the details of our trip if I don't write them now, so here goes.

Rob signed up for a Search Engine Optimization conference in New York a while ago, and of course I jumped at the chance to go with him. Easier said than done. I always wonder, as I'm making arrangements for the kids and doing everything that needs to be done to prepare, if it's really worth it. When we finally left for the airport on Friday morning I was exhausted and felt terrible because Ainsley was so, so sad. Unfortunately, the kids didn't have school that day, so she was completely focused on the fact that we'd be gone. We didn't make it to the airport before she called in tears. Luckily she had Grandma and Grandpa Marsh for the weekend, and not only survived, but had a great time. It was so nice to know the kids were in such great hands so we could enjoy ourselves! We are so grateful for them, and for my mom, who stayed Monday–Thursday.

We arrived late afternoon and caught a taxi to our hotel, the Marriott Marquis in Times Square. Times Square is a little too Vegas, and way too crowded, but it was close to the convention center for Rob, and close to all the broadway shows, which was convenient. Our room was pretty basic, but we didn't spend much time there anyway. The bed was super comfy and there was plenty of hot water and water pressure. 


We dropped off our bags and hit the town.


I'd read that the Museum of Modern Art is free on Friday nights, so we headed over there. As you might expect, it was super crowded, but they have some of my favorite artists and paintings, including The Starry Night:



Water Lilies:


We texted this one to the kids:


I liked the scale of the museum, it's not so huge that it's overwhelming.



We used yelp to find a nearby pizzeria, and had a delicious meal at PizzArte.


Then we just wandered, and I kept annoying Rob by wanting to take photos of things I'd only seen in movies.







Crowds are not really my thing, but I couldn't help getting caught up in the energy of the city that never sleeps. Not that I had that problem by the end of the day. :)

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love Rob's face in the photos - you should have made him go inside FAO and dance on the giant piano - now THAT'S a picture we need to see!!

Thanks for posting some pics - love!