Friday, October 7, 2011

Here's to our rebel...

I'm feeling a little left out, being the only person online who isn't eulogizing Steve Jobs. I mean, I love my Mac and iStuff as much as anyone else...okay, maybe not as much as this guy. Still, I wanted to pay tribute in some small way, for the fabulous products and clean designs. I can't help thinking of the famous "misfits" quote when I think about Joey:

"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently—they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do."
~Steve Jobs (1955-2011)
I'm not saying Joey is a "misfit" or "crazy", but he is definitely an original. He tends a little to the extremes, as you can see in these photos, taken one day apart.



On the left, Saturday, September 17th, he's sporting one of his favorite shirts and the hair he's been growing out all summer. I love his curls, but wanted to get the "wings" trimmed a bit. He was NOT interested, until he found out I might be persuaded to buy him a suit (he's wanted one forever) for his birthday, IF he trimmed it a bit. He said, "Let's go" and we were at Sports Clips within minutes. I was completely surprised when he told the stylist to cut it short. He told me he wanted to look "sharp" in his suit. We then went to eight different stores (Macy's, Kohl's, TJ Maxx, Nordstrom Rack, Nordstrom, Dillards, Sears and Burlington Coat Factory) in search of a suit. The problem was that even the slim size (which was hard to find) was way too baggy on him. We finally found a "modern fit" three-piece pinstripe Calvin Klein suit that fit (with the help of a belt). The Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde transformation couldn't have been more complete. He's not really interested in following anyone else's rules, but he does love the attention he gets when he marches to the beat of his own drum, and soaked up all the attention he got at church on Sunday.

Yep, he's hard to ignore. We're looking forward to seeing the ways Joey changes the world.

No comments: