Saturday, October 11, 2008

Joey's baptism

This is probably the most significant event that I've neglected writing about over the past few weeks. It's a big, once-in-a-lifetime milestone. And though I would never expect an eight year old to fully understand the doctrines of the gospel, but I do know that Joey wants to follow Jesus, and I'm so happy that he's started down that path. We had a really nice meeting at the stake center. I especially liked the talk about the fruits of the spirit—we've used it many times since then to help the kids try to identify whether or not the spirit is present. Joey and one of his friends in our ward were then baptized and then confirmed. Joey tells me this was his favorite part, because he received the Holy Ghost. 

It was great to have so many family members and friends there to support Joey (even his first grade teacher came)! Because our house was filled with boxes of cabinets, we all gathered afterward at the new downtown Hagermann's and gave the new employees a chance to have a pre-opening with customers who would be back no matter what. The new store is awesome, and the food was great as usual, but the best was not having to clean my house before or after the party! Thanks to Chris and Cara and other Rileys for painting, preparing and pulling it off in time for this.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That's so great. So, I've never heard of Hagerman's...something I need to know about?

Michelle said...

Rachel, I just added the link to Hagermann's above. It's my brothers bakery and cafe, but I've heard many people who aren't biased say it's the best sandwich they've ever had. The new location is close to you—15 W. South Temple. I recommend Roast Beef a la Chris or Turkey Pomodoro. And the sugar cookies. And hot chocolate. And the artisan cinnamon bread. You get the idea. Just don't go between noon and two, when everyone working downtown is eating lunch there. I think the Stringhams might have their New Years Eve party there this year, if you don't make it before then...