Wednesday, May 19, 2010

She'll still need braces...

But Ellie no longer sucks her thumb! She's been a thumb sucker since before she was born. I have to admit, I loved it when she was a baby. She was a self-comforter, and even started sleeping through the night early on. A couple of years ago I posted that I hoped she'd stop before kindergarten, but she only quit sucking her thumb while she was at school. Rob told her many times how much it hurt to have braces, and he threatened to buy yucky-tasting stuff to put on her thumb, but to no avail.
Until a few months ago, when she decided she was done. She even asked us to put tape on her thumb each night so if she accidentally started, she'd stop. The biggest shock of all was when she told me she didn't want to sleep with her blankie anymore. I have such mixed feelings. I'm proud of her for breaking a tough habit. I'm hoping this will mean less time and money at the orthodontist's. And of course I'm glad she is growing and progressing. But I miss that baby/toddler/preschool stage. I'd love to be able to hit the rewind button every once in a while and hold her and her stinky blanket while she sucks her thumb.

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Cute, cute pictures. Wow. Where did the time go? I guess I still think of Ellie as that little curly-haired toddler with her thumb in her mouth.