Monday, December 13, 2010

BrainLinking

I can't remember whether I've vented my homework frustrations here on the blog. This year has been crazy! Robbie is in sixth grade and has a 30 page paper due this month! I'm not sure I've ever written a paper that long, even after six long years of college! On top of that, both Robbie and Joey have had trouble turning in their assignments on time, even when it's done and in their backpack.

So, in an effort to figure out the problem and help them, I took them to BrainLinking for an assessment. Here they are wearing the funky goggles that track eye movement while reading:



It was no big surprise to learn that reading efficiently is NOT their problem. In fact, Joey was on an 8th grade level, and Robbie was the same as most seniors in college.

We did get some interesting feedback on their learning styles and ability to focus, and will be working on exercises to improve that. I'm excited to try out this program and I'll let you know how it goes.

And if you want to really hear a tirade, just ask Rob about our district's homework policy. :)

No comments: