Friday, April 30, 2010

Another tantrum

I had a great idea for a long rainy afternoon—a readathon. My kids love these at school, and so when I picked them up, I suggested we head to the library for books and then stop at the store so they could pick out a treat, after which I envisioned us all cozied up with our books during the storm. They loved the idea, but it didn't pan out.

While we were checking out Ellie and Ainsley started fighting over one of the books, and then Ellie completely lost it when we had to put a few on Joey's card because I was over my limit. Just for the record, the library is pretty much the worst place for a meltdown. I'm pretty sure every single person there was watching, or at least listening to us. Of course I had told them before we went in that we'd get treats IF they were well-behaved, so I couldn't reward her for her outburst, which then escalated the problem. She didn't stop for what seemed like forever, but was probably more like an hour. She wouldn't stay in her room, but had to stand right next to me for her histrionic screaming, so I pulled out the camera again, hoping she'd remember watching her last tantrum and our discussion about it. But no such luck, she just hid and freaked out even more.


We never had any "terrible twos" or threes with her. I thought we were in the clear. Now I'm hoping that "shocking six" doesn't continue into her seventh year too. I think my mom's curse (that I'd have a child just like me) may be coming true. That doesn't bode well for the teenage years. :)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Gee, I'm sorry I missed that. Looks like your read-a-thon was really fun.